3 JTF Operatives Die, As Jigawa Records 1st Bomb Blast

Voice of Arewa

Barely two  weeks after the signing of a peace agreement between community and religious leaders at the palace of the chairman, Taraba State Council of Chiefs, the Aku Uka, fresh crisis yesterday erupted in Kungana village in  Bali local government area of the state, leaving seven people dead.
A …

View original post

Advertisements

PDP Will Not Apologise To Buhari, APC Over Terrorism Support Accusation

Zazawaga

Image

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is not going to retract its earlier statement that the leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) aided insurgency in Nigeria.

The PDP National Publicity Secretary Olisa Metuh said this on Tuesday in Abuja.

Metuh also said that in its pursuit of power shift the opposition party was heating up the polity by distracting President Goodluck Jonathan from his transformation agenda.

Immediately after a bomb exploded at the Nyanya bus park killing more than 75 people on April 14, Metuh issued a statement in which the ruling party alleged that the attack was politically motivated and could be traced to the words of some of the APC politicians who wanted to make Nigeria ungovernable

View original post 229 more words

Reps To Vote On Extension Of State Of Emergency In Borno, Yobe, Adamawa

Voice of Arewa

The House of Representatives will on Thursday, vote on the extension of state of emergency in Adamawa , Borno and Yobe states.
President Goodluck Jonathan in a letter to the House on May 13, requested for the extension of the state of emergency in the three states for another six months.
Speaker…

View original post

Nigerian soldiers open fire on their own army commander in Maiduguri — They say they lack the firepower to tackle insurgents

Peace and Freedom

.

Members of Nigeria's security forces in Borno state - April 2013
Soldiers say they lack the firepower to tackle insurgents

Soldiers in Nigeria have opened fire on their commander in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri, witnesses say.

Maj-Gen Ahmed Mohammed escaped unhurt after soldiers shot at his car at the Maimalari barracks, the sources said.

The soldiers blamed him for the killing of their colleagues in an ambush by suspected Boko Haram militants.

Nigeria abductions

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s president has ruled out freeing Boko Haram prisoners in exchange for the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls.

A government minister had earlier said authorities were ready to negotiate with Boko Haram, but President Goodluck Jonathan insisted on Wednesday that this was out of the question.

“He made it very clear that there will be no negotiation with Boko Haram that involves a swap of abducted schoolgirls for prisoners,” said British Africa…

View original post 236 more words

Nigeria: Vigilantes kill Islamic militants

Peace and Freedom

Protesters in Lagos defy weather to march for abducted girls
Dozens of protesters brave heavy rains in Nigeria’s most populous city to mark one month since more than 200 girls in war-ravaged northeast Nigeria were kidnapped from their school.
.

BAUCHI, Nigeria (AP) — The villagers knew an attack was coming, so they used the dark of night to ambush the suspected Boko Haram militants, killing scores and arresting at least 10 in a move to deter the extremists and make future attacks “impossible.”

Vigilante groups have been springing up in north Nigeria over the past year amid accusations the military is not acting…

View original post 1,037 more words

Chibok: US Won’t Share Intelligence With Nigeria —Pentagon

NaijaSteward

The United States of America (USA) military had conducted several surveillance flights over north-eastern Nigeria in an effort to find school girls held by a terrorist group, but it would not share the intelligence gathered with the Nigerian government, Pentagon officials said on Tuesday.

According to military.com, Army General David Rodriguez, Head of the Africa Command, was in Abuja, to work out “protocols” for sharing the information from the high-resolution cameras carried by the surveillance aircraft, the officials said.

“At this point, we are not sharing raw intelligence data,” said Army Colonel Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.

Warren declined to give reasons for holding back the information, but Africa specialists have warned of corruption in the Nigerian military and fears that the Boko Haram terror group holding the girls has penetrated the security services.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan “himself has said that high levels of the security apparatus and the…

View original post 278 more words

Official: Nigerian Government Rules Out Swapping Islamic Militants For Nearly 300 Kidnapped Schoolgirls

CBS DC

ABUJA, Nigeria (CBS News/CBSDC/AP) — Nigeria’s government is ruling out an exchange of more than 270 kidnapped schoolgirls for detained Islamic militants, Britain’s top official for Africa said Wednesday.

President Goodluck Jonathan has “made it very clear that there will be no negotiation with Boko Haram that involves a swap of abducted schoolgirls for prisoners,” Mark Simmonds, British foreign office minister, told journalists in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.

But Nigeria’s government will talk to the militants on reconciliation, Simmonds said, after a meeting with Jonathan.

“The point that also was made very clear to me is that the president was keen to continue and facilitate ongoing dialogue to find a structure and architecture of delivering lasting solution to the conflict and the cause of conflict in northern Nigeria,” Simmonds said.

He spoke before Nigeria’s Defense Ministry announced that extremists had again attacked the remote northeastern town of Chibok, from which…

View original post 509 more words

Did the U.S. War in Libya Boost Boko Haram in Nigeria?

Stop Making Sense

From the Institute for Public Accuracy:

Baraka is a fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies who is based in Colombia. He has written extensively on Africa and just wrote the piece “From Benghazi to Boko Haram: Why I support the Benghazi Inquiry,” which states: “Seemingly out of nowhere, Boko Haram burst into the awareness of people around the world as a shadowy group of Islamists with the ability to carry out audacious attacks that paralyzed the army of the most populous country in Africa. People now want to know the group’s origins, where they came from, why they are kidnapping girls and how they became such a powerful threat. All important questions — but questions that cannot be answered by just looking at the internal politics of Nigeria, as important as those are, because Boko Haram is incomprehensible when decontextualized from the destabilization, death and destruction…

View original post 86 more words

New army division takes over Boko Haram operations

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) operating in the three North-East states of Nigeria under state of emergency will, from Monday, hand over command to a new Army Division.

President Goodluck Jonathan had declared state of emergency on May 14 in three states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa following serious security challenges posed by the activities of Boko Haram.

A statement issued in Abuja on Sunday by Brig-.Gen. Chris Olukolade, Director of Defence Information, said the command of the on-going internal security operations in the North East would enter a new phase as the control of the mission reverted to the Army Headquarters.

He said a new Army Division had been created and would take-off to continue the counter-insurgency operation with immediate effect.

Nigerian director of defence information Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade

Nigerian director of defence information Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade

“Coming three months into the mission to stamp out terrorism in the North East, this development is in line with the plans laid out for the conduct of the operations.

“The phase being concluded on Monday was executed by a Joint Task Force composed by troops drawn from the services of the Armed Forces as well as other security agencies who conducted Operation BOYONA, ‘’ he said.

He said the code-name BOYONA was an acronym derived from the names of the three states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa covered by the State of Emergency declaration.

According to him, the effort was meant to constitute the first phase of the counter-terrorists operation.

He said the Army would now be solely in charge of the operations, but still under the routine guidance of the Defence Headquarters.

The General Officer Commanding (GOC), he said, in the rank of Major General was being proposed to command the new Division which would have its Headquarters in Maiduguri. (NAN)

Source :  PM News